IHH Daily Update 7*10*07
According to the Associated Press, Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Larry Stephen denied the prosecution’s motion to merge the two assault charges against the rapper — one for allegedly assaulting a fan, the other for assaulting an employee around Christmas time of last year.
Last August, Busta (real name: Trevor Smith) was charged with assault when he allegedly assaulted a fan for spitting on his car,following a performance at the Heineken AmsterJam Festival.
In December 2006, he was accused of attacking one of his employees in New York, a day after Christmas, when he confronted the rapper to collect money he was owed.
The AP reports that Assistant District Attorney Harrison Schweiloch did not move to have Busta’s drunken driving and suspended license cases consolidated, so the judge also allowed them to remain separate.
The rapper again turned down Schweiloch’s offer of a year in jail to cover all the cases, the same deal he was offered in his last outing in court.”It’s the same offer” that the prosecutor made at the last court appearance, Busta’s attorney Scott Leemon said, “and it’s one which Busta adamantly rejects.”
Busta was arrested in May for the fourth time in less than a year. This time it was for a drunken driving charge, in which he had allegedly admitted — during the time of the arrest — that he had drunken a single shot of cognac an hour earlier.
Before the DWI arrest, the rapper was arrested in February 2007 for driving with a suspended license after police stopped him for running a red light.
He will now face each charge separately. Judge Stephen adjourned the cases until September 5, where he is likely to set a hearing and trial schedule.
Randy Hubbard Parker was found dead in his Atlanta area apartment this past weekend. He was 23 years old. Randy was born in Queens and was a graphic designer who also had a deep interest in the fashion industry. Reports suggest he was actively looking for employment in the Atlanta area at the time of his death.
“Kris and Simone Parker send their sincere appreciation to everyone who has already responded to the tragic news,” the couple said in a statement. A private memorial service will be held July 18th which would have been Randy’s 24th birthday.
To send condolences, contact Shane Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NAACP Hold Mock Funeral For The “N” Word
Demonstrators marched in a mock funeral procession through downtown Detroit on Monday in a symbolic burial of the “N-word” and an effort to persuade black Americans to stop using a variant of the racial slur in hip-hop music, comedy and casual conversation.
Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm joined the event, which was attended by hundreds of demonstrators from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and others from nearby office buildings.
Victoria Lanier, a NAACP activist from New York, gave a mock obituary arguing that the racist slur with its roots in American slavery and all its modern variations as used by some blacks and in hip-hop could not be separated.
“We will bury this offensive usage among all people, including African Americans,” Lanier said. “We promise that we will be more creative in our rap lyrics, more respectful to our ancestors.”
The mock funeral, which included a plywood casket bedecked with a wreath of black roses and pulled by a pair of horses, was staged by the NAACP, which is holding its annual convention in Detroit.
“This is the first funeral I’ve been to where people were happy to be here,” said NAACP Chairman Julian Bond. “The entity in this casket deserves to be dead.”
Most demonstrators and speakers avoided direct mention of the epithet, which came into focus again last year after former “Seinfeld” actor Michael Richards used it repeatedly in a videotaped tirade at a Los Angeles comedy club.
A similar controversy erupted in April when talk show host Don Imus made a derogatory remark about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team, a remark that prompted his firing by CBS.
Activists carried signs and wore T-shirts saying “Bury the “N” Word,” while a Christian fellowship collected pledges from attendees who promised to stop using a range of slurs.
Under a banner saying, “Don’t Dis’, Uplift,” members of Detroit’s Fellowship Chapel collected pledges showing various offensive terms with a ban mark through each. The signed pledges were collected in a nearby garbage can.
“It’s about self-respect. We need to throw all of this language in the garbage can — all of this racist, sexist and misogynistic language,” said Derek Blackman, who organized the pledge drive.
Several marchers doubted that the event would mark the demise of a centuries-old slur but some said it might start to harden attitudes among black entertainers and parents.
“In our circles, people tend to use this word without thinking about it,” said Jimmie Garland from Clarksville, Tennessee. “But the word is negative regardless of who uses it.”
Some demonstrators noted that the NAACP staged a similar mock funeral for America’s “Jim Crow” laws, which enforced segregation, in Detroit in 1944 but that those laws remained in force until the mid-1960s.
“If the N-word is being buried today, it’s being buried alive,” said Detroit political consultant Sam Riddle, who attended Monday’s event.
FOXY BROWN ‘FOUND’ IN MANHATTAN
While Foxy Brown was being reported as missing in action by her publicist, close friends and even her lawyer, the rapper was busy performing at the Urban Music Awards in Manhattan.
PerezHilton.com quoted witnesses and provided pictures of the Brooklyn artist working the stage at Saturday’s event. According to the Urban Music Awards web site, Brown was set to be a co-host alongside Spragga Benz.
Also, Boyz II Men were to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and perform a 15-minute set of their greatest hits.
The New York Post had reported that Foxy was last spotted by her inner circle on June 29 boarding a plane to London. Witnesses on the flight also complained that she and her entourage were the cause of a nearly hour-long delay in take off.
BEYONCE VISITS VICTIMS OF HER PYROTECHNICS DEBACLE
Beyonce took time out of her busy schedule to visit two people who were injured by pyrotechnics that went astray during her concert Sunday at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
According to the AP, pyrotechnics meant for the stage accidentally shot out into the front row, sending two concertgoers straight to Barnes-Jewish Hospital with minor injuries. Spokeswoman Kathy Holleman wouldn’t release their names, but both were expected to make a full recovery.
Soon after the concert ended, Beyonce arrived at the hospital and spent about 45 minutes chatting with the two fans at their bedside in the emergency room, said head nurse Darryl Williams.
“She was just very concerned about the people injured in the audience,” Williams said. “It was unannounced and we kept it very low-key so that she could spend time with them. …I just thought it was a great thing for someone of her stature to do.”
Unlike those that came before him, Ne-Yo doesn’t seem the slighted bit nervous about Karrine “Superhead” Steffans’ new tell-all sequel book.
At the Essence Music Festival on Saturday, the singer/songwriter dismissed all romantic affiliation with the infamous video model-turned-author, who is planning a second book, “The Vixen Diaries” as a follow up to her much talked about memoir “Confessions of a Video Vixen”.
Two years ago, the release of the salacious “Confessions” threw many of the hip-hop community’s biggest stars under the bus when she told tales of long-lasting love affairs and one-night stands with the likes of Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, DMX, Diddy and Shaquille O’Neal that still have people talking to this day.
Last week it was reported that Steffans told King magazine about a night in which Ne-Yo rubbed and bit her feet before telling her, “I don’t care what happened before, but your life didn’t start until the day you met me, and no matter what happens if we just stay friends, we end up together, it doesn’t matter”
Ne-Yo told the media backstage at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans that there was no validity to her claims.
“You know what, when the whole gay rumor [surfaced,] people were telling me, ‘You’re nobody till they think you’re gay…I’m adding this [claim by Steffans] to that. Now that Karrine Steffans has claimed me, I guess I’ve officially arrived. I’ve made the second book, cool.” He stated with a shrug.
Ne-Yo also informed the media that he is busy penning lyrics for a long list of music favorites including: Mary J. Blige, Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Usher, Whitney Houston, and Lionel Richie.
50 CENT, CIARA AND THEIR ENTOURAGES GO ON A DATE
TMZ.com is reporting that 50 Cent and his rumored girlfriend Ciara were spotted last week on a romantic dinner date at the Brentwood Restaurant and Lounge in West Los Angeles – with their respective camps in tow acting as one big third wheel.
Sources say the two artists and their “posse of ten” arrived at the restaurant “in a fleet of cars, including a Lamborghini that 50 was driving,” reports TMZ.
According to witnesses, 50 and Ciara were snuggled up in one booth, while the hangers-on “stood guard at one large table across from them.”
Rumors of a romance between the two were sparked by their semi-naked scenes in Ciara’s video for “Can’t Leave ‘Em Alone.”
Alicia Keys Eyeing October For Third J Album
Alicia Keys has penciled in an Oct. 23 release date for her third J Records album, “As I Am.” Songwriter Linda Perry chipped in with three songs, including “The Thing About Love,” which Keys premiered on Saturday at the Live Earth concert in East Rutherford, N.J.
Sporting a more rock- and funk-edged vibe to her usual grooves, “As I Am” also finds Keys working with Mark Batson, Kerry “Krucial” Brothers and Harold Lilly Jr. Guests include John Mayer and Floetry singer Marsha Ambrosius.
Keys characterizes her brainstorming with Perry as “not quite the same old thing. My roots are soul, hip-hop and jazz. She’s rock but soulful as well.” Adding that their pairing transcends any perceived barriers, she says with a laugh, “Together we’re talking worldwide domination.”
Overall, six new songs previewed by Billboard exhibit the creative freedom that Keys says fuels the rest of the album. “Being able to be so free with no expectations … the results surpass whatever I could imagine,” she enthuses. “I am thankful and blessed at how this music is coming out.”
The only upcoming date on Keys’ schedule is a Sept. 6 appearance at the annual Fashion Rocks Concert at New York’s Radio City Music Hall.
Big Tigger To Return To “Rap City?”
Though he presently isn’t on BET’s talent roster, Tigger is still under contract with the network. Earlier this year, he explained that BET executives are developing new shows for him to helm. Tigger recently provided SOHH with an update.
“Still having great conversations about it,” Tigger said in regards to potentially hosting a new show. “There were two shows that came up, I turned down. And I’m still having some conversations.”
Though he wouldn’t confirm, Tigger hinted that he may reprise his “RapCity” hosting gig.
“There’s a strong conversation about me going back to one of the shows that I used to be on and y’all figure out which one it was,” Tigger said. “We’ll see what happens
Daddy’s Shadow is a feature-length documentary centered on Manaj’s quest to break into the music industry despite her legendary multi-millionaire father’s objections and lack of support. The film is currently under production through TM Media Group.
“Working with TM Media Group and Matt Harmon on my project is a dream come true. They respect my creativity and direction and I can feel the success already. I hope to make my fans proud and look forward to reaching a new global audience through my relationship with Matt and his team,” said Manaj.
The trailer can be viewed at http://www.wiggawreckords.com
Juvenile Works on Next Album with Mannie Fresh
Juvenile, only a year removed from 2006’s Reality Check, is back iin the studio with longtime collaborator Mannie Fresh. The as-of-yet untitled album is tentatively set to be released on UTP/Atlantic Records, sometime in the Fall.
“I done matured a lot, ‘cause you know my kids is getting older,” said Juve according to XXL. “It’s not all about Juve no more. Me and Mannie been back in the studio [and] I had to humble myself down…pimp down a level. I just want people to listen to this album and realize the time behind it. Realize the amount of years that I been around to still be doing what I’m doing and at the caliber I’m doing it.”
As for the status of the album?
“I don’t know nothing,” said Juve. “I’m just doing songs. I’m a background player on this one. I’ma let Mannie and Atlantic call the shots.”